Saturday 19 October 2013

Elephant No. 47: Teeny-Tiny Drawings




While tidying up some of my art supplies, I came across some small scraps of bristol board. I usually only keep things that are at least business card size, but these were much smaller. I was about to throw them out when I decided they might be useful for tiny drawings.

Given that I was going to be at a seminar all day, I thought tiny drawings might be a perfect take-along activity. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to find time to make a series of tiny drawings, but I was hopeful that I could at least turn out one or two.

I had oddball sizes of paper to work with, all around somewhere between 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) by 2 inches (5 cm). I brought a pack of rollerball pens in multiple colours with me, and worked on these at breakfast and at lunch.

So here, for better or worse, are my drawings in the order in which I drew them.









These were very rough sketches, but I was rather pleased with the final results. Nowhere near perfect little masterpieces, by any means, but kind of fun, and a great way to use up bizarre offcuts of paper.




Elephant Lore of the Day
If you've ever lost your balance trying to negotiate a steep hill, you'll sympathize with this herd of elephants. Apparently, however, this odd little group decided to slide down the hill like this on purpose.

According to photographer Christophe Beaudufe, who captured the chaos in South Africa's Kruger National Park, all 60 members of the herd flopped down on their stomachs and sides to slither down the hill, rather than trying to climb down the 50-foot slope.


Herd of elephant sliding down a steep hill on their sides and stomachs.
Photo: Christophe Beaudufe
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2459632/Elephants-
slide-steep-bank-to-watering-hole.html


They apparently didn't mind that they piled into one another in a veritable river of tumbling elephants, and played happily once they got to the bottom, where a water hole awaited.


None the worse for wear, a young elephant heads
towards the water hole.
Photo: Christophe Beaudufe
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2459632/
Elephants-slide-steep-bank-to-watering-hole.html


According to scientists, elephants don't much like climbing either up or down steep hills, and climbing down actually requires more energy than climbing up. So much so that an elephant known as Icy Mike climbed to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro (elevation: 14,000 feet/4.4 kilometres) and stayed there.


Elephant herd at the water hole. You can see part of their regular route in
the background.
Photo: Christophe Beaudufe
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2459632/Elephants-
slide-steep-bank-to-watering-hole.html

To Support Elephant Welfare
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (Thailand)
Wildlife SOS (India) 
 
The Elephant Sanctuary (Tennessee)

David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation


No comments:

Post a Comment