Friday 1 November 2013

Elephant No. 60: Leftover Hallowe'en Candy




It was raining here for Hallowe'en last night, so we didn't get many trick-or-treaters, and are stuck with leftover candy. I always try to buy stuff that we like enough to eat after the fact, but it's still more than we can face. So, for today's elephant, I thought I'd arrange the surplus loot into some kind of interesting pattern.

This is what I had to work with. There were also bags of potato chips, but I didn't think I wanted to try to work them into an elephant shape.




At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to unwrap everything, or try to work with the packages. I decided to try making something with the packaged candy first.

I started by making the body, then adding legs, then fleshing it out with a head, ear and trunk.






Pretty abstract and almost unrecognizable as an elephant, so I assessed my supplies again. I had 14 mini-boxes of Smarties that I hadn't used for the first elephant, so I decided to open all 14 boxes and use them for elephant number two. 




I began by making a vague elephant shape, then removed the dark brown Smarties so that there would just be one for an eye. To finish it up, I placed yellow Smarties where I thought a tusk might go.




This whole activity took me only about half an hour, which is always a plus for me. In the end, I rather liked the Smarties elephant, and may even try it  on top of a birthday cake sometime.




Elephant Lore of the Day
My husband Terrence came across the image below which—as with all unusual elephant photos—I found intriguing. It's widely available across the Internet, but I was pretty sure that this couldn't be the original sign, cute though it is. So I did an online search.


Doctored photo of young girl at London Zoo.
Source: http://idreamelephants.blogspot.ca/2012/02/
strictly-no-elephants.html

I found the actual image (below), which I think is just as fun. Taken in 1927 at the London Zoo, the picture shows a little girl who arrived at the Zoo's Elephant House with her own pet elephant, only to find that the Elephant House was closed for the winter.


No Visitors, London, England, January 1927.
Photo: Fox Photos/Getty Images/Hulton Archive
Source: http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/young-
visitor-and-her-toy-elephant-finds-that-the-elephant-news-
photo/3317065?Language=en-US


To Support Elephant Welfare
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (Thailand)
Wildlife SOS (India) 
 
The Elephant Sanctuary (Tennessee)

David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment